News of: Wednesday, March 01 2017,
TCA, Amsterdam's main taxi company introduces a fixed rate of E 37.50 for rides between Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam. This is almost 50% lower than the ordinary rate.
The huge price reduction may have to do with the increasing competition by Uber and other taxi companies, but the TCA management has not acknowledged this.
Important to know:
- the fixed rate is valid as from today (March 1, 2017)
- the rate applies to and from any address in Amsterdam.
- the fixed rate is not (yet) mentioned on the TCA website.
- the price is per ride, not per person.
- the fare calculator on the TCA website does not (yet) quote the fixed rate if destination address 'Vertrekpassage 1, Schiphol' (address of the airport) is used.
- the TCA person we talked to on the phone said you need to tell the taxi driver in advance you would like to make use of the fixed airport rate. Otherwise, the standard meter rate may be applied, which could increase the price of a ride to E 60,- or more.
Tourists are sometimes ripped off by taxi drivers with outrageous prices, of hundreds of Euros, sometimes even above E 1000,- for a single ride.