News of: Thursday, June 07 2007,
The Central Public library is going to move to the Oosterdoks-island, just next to the Central Station.
The official opening will be on 7/7/07, and this will mean the opening of the largest public library in the Netherlands.
The library will not only be a place to borrow books, magazines, cd's and dvd's, but it also contains 2 small museums and 2 theaters.
Of course, for tourists the library will not become a top attraction, but some things may be of interest:
- There is a reading room, where you may read newspapers and magazines, some of which are not in Dutch.
- there are 600 internet pc's (with Microsoft Office products)
- there are language pc's, on which you can learn about the language and the culture of the Netherlands.
- sometimes there may be performances for which no knowledge of Dutch is required.
- there will be a cafe, coffee corner, terrace and restaurant
- there is an AUB ticketpoint. This is the ticket office where you can buy tickets for virtually all Amsterdam theatres (the main one is at Leidseplein square). The ticketpoint has the same opening hours as the library.
The museums in the library are the Gerard Reve Museum (Gerard Reve is a well-known Dutch author (who died in 2006), and the Library Museum, which will also contain the Boudewijn Büch collection (Büch is another well-known Dutch author).
The new library will be open 7 days a week, from 10am to 10pm.